This month I am putting together a QAYG Herringbone quilt. I am using the tutorial from Maureen Cracknell's site: Maureen Cracknell Handmade. Since I am still having some trouble with my straight stitching Singer, I can't free motion quilt right now, so decided to try my first Quilt-As-You-Go project!
This project involves making 6.5"x 64" panels out of batting, then sewing fabric strips directly to the batting. Then all you have to do is sew the panels together and attach the backing on with a few straight line stitches and you're done (after binding, of course)!
The picture shows the 8 completed panels. At this moment, I was "auditioning" the placement of each panel. I often use my camera or camera phone to take a quick pic to get a "birds-eye view" of my work. Sometimes seeing it in a photo can help me more easily see balance of color and pattern. I intentionally made a purple "arrow" in the lower right middle of the quilt. It's a Japanese fabric which I love, and wanted to create a little focal point out of the chaos. The quilt top is now complete, and I am just waiting for the walking foot I ordered for my temporary machine to arrive so I can finish up the back.
A few of you might recognize the fabrics in this quilt from a previous project. I had a huge stash of leftovers from my Deco Supernova quilt from a while back. Such a fun project- I really loved putting that one together!
I added a couple of new flavors to supplement. I also altered Maureen's tutorial slightly to allow for my 3" strips (I obviously didn't want to trim 1/2" off every strip!). Since this is a Goodbye quilt for our friends who are leaving NYC to return home to Germany, I included a couple of strips of NYC fabric.
I have a couple of other cute fabric additions I will share when I'm done. Hopefully I can show you the finished product soon!