These are actually not the worst of it- it got a lot uglier, but I will spare you the horror! A few readers gave me some advice which alleviated the problem somewhat, but I still wasn't getting a consistent stitch. Anyhow, when my wife's good friend came to visit a couple of weeks ago, she connected me with her mom, who's best friend is a quilter, and she suggested I try using a Stretch needle instead of a Quilting needle in my machine. Magic! Not a single problem after installing the Stretch needle- Thanks Sandy!!!
So I went back and ripped out many many stitches on the quilt and re-quilted maybe 25 stretches of quilting. I didn't have the patience to re-stitch EVERY skip, and the re-quilting stitches aren't perfect, but at least they don't skip now :)
I took this Whirlygig to the local playground for a few late afternoon pictures. It was really windy yesterday, so those pinwheels were really blowing in the breeze!
Here you can see some of the quilting, which was larger-scale. I wanted to maximize the softness, and many suggested that tighter quilting can sometimes compromise the quilt's cuddly feeling.
I did a pieced binding using some of the leftover fabrics, and machine bound it, as I have on my last few quilts. Perhaps just laziness, but I like to think that I am anxious to get it to its new owner as soon as possible. :) In either case, I like the look, and that's time I could be working on my next project!
This next one barely counts. I did some FMQ practice on a quilt sandwich while I was in the doldrums of FMQ problems on the above quilt, and decided it came out pretty well, so I bound it and made a little doll quilt/blanket for by daughter's doll.
The batting is "pieced"- I took 4 strips of scraps and used it for my practice sandwich. You can see the seams running lengthwise ( I guess if I do that in the future, I will stitch the pieces together). Really, only the binding is pieced, but my daughter doesn't seem to mind :)